Doi Illish or curd Hilsa has very similar looks to that off mustard (or sarshe) hilsa, but taste-wise it is completely different.
• Hilsa fish – 4 pcs
• Curd – ½ cup
• Poppy seed – 2 tbsp paste
• Mustard paste – 3 tbsp
• Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
• Green chillies – 4
• Salt – as per taste
• Sugar – ½ tsp
• Kalanji seeds – ½ tsp
1. Clean the hilsa pieces and pat dry them .Season them with salt and turmeric powder.
2. Now heat mustard oil in a wok, and slowly put the fish pieces one by one and fry them lightly. Remove the fish pieces after they are fried and keep the oil aside
3. In a bowl, mix curd, poppy seed and the mustard paste. Add turmeric powder. Add some fresh oil to the wok and temper with the Kalanji seeds and let them splutter.
4. Turn the heat to low and add the mixture of curd, poppy seeds and mustard paste and green chillies. As the oil starts separating, add the fish, salt and cup of water. Cover and cook for some time.
5. Garnish with a few drops of fresh mustard oil and green chillies, serve with hot steam rice.