Sunday 16 August 2015

Mango Lassi

Life is like a story, and we are all a character in it. Everyone that comes in our life just plays their part of the role and move on.
On this thought, I would like to share few lines of one of my favourite movie :
Babu Moshai, Zindagi aur maut Upar waale ke haath hai ... 
Usse na toh aap badal sakte hai. na main ... hum sab to rangmanch ki kathputliyan hai, jinki dor upar waale ki ungliyon mein bandhi hai.

Anyways won't get into too much of philosophy.
So today I am gonna talk about my new recipe which is mango lassi.
Well Lassi is not such a popular drink in Assam or even Kolkata for that matter as it's mainly a North Indian Drink.
After my marriage I shifted to Delhi with my husband. I was born and brough up in Assam, and for those of you who don't know, It's never too hot in Assam. If the temperature is high for consecutive 2 days, the next day you can surely expect some rain. So, 45 degree celsius temperature of Delhi was something I was finding very hard to adjust to. So my coping mechanism was Coca-cola that time. One fine day, me and my husband went to Old Delhi to explore that part of Delhi which we hadn't visited till then. There I had ‘malai wala lassi for the first time’, which was served in a huge tall steel glass. I still remember the taste. It was so amazing and  since then I have been a huge fan of lassi. Apart from the awesome taste, there is one more reason to remember the malai wala lassi  and that is....MOOCHE HO TO NATTHULAL JAISE  

CUISINE: North indian

Servings : 3-4 persons

Ingredients 

(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
2 cups of freshly chopped mango pieces, about 3 to 4 medium sized mangoes. I used alphonso mangoes, but you could use any good variety of mango. You could also use mango pulp.
2 cups chilled full fat fresh curd/yoghurt,
2 to 3 tbsp cream 25% to 30% fat or malai (optional)
½ tsp cardamom powder or ½ tbsp rose water or a pinch of saffron strands
4 to 5 tbsp sugar or honey or add as required. this also can be skipped if the mangoes are very sweet
few mint leaves for garnish or mango cubes or sliced dry fruits



Method 

1. Peel the mangoes and chop them.
2. In a blender or mixer, puree the mangoes with sugar or honey and cardamom powder or saffron or rose water.
3. Now add the chilled curd/yogurt and cream. 
4. Add some ice cubes.
5. Blend for some seconds till the everything is mixed well and the yogurt has become smooth.
6. Pour mango lassi in glasses and serve garnished with cubes of mango or mint leaves 
7. If you want a slightly thin consistency, then add some milk to the mango lassi while blending.

Note :  instead of sugar you can also add jaggery or honey. 




If you like my recipe, do leave a comment here or press the ‘like’ button. 

No comments:

Post a Comment